Sunday, February 16, 2020

Self Care starts in the Small: Don't put it Off

As the point of self care has been brought up in relation to current events, namely the Coronavirus or whatever their calling it these days, I thought I’d share a short story, as well as my three favorite off the shelf self-care remedies - sodium bicarbonate and turmeric and coconut oil. In short (in my view): sodium bicarbonate (the 99.99% pure stuff) is awesome for maintaining the right alkaline environment for the body; turmeric is great for so many things, but mostly I use it to address inflammation, coconut for topical applications as well as healthy cooking… For more on natural remedies and other cures, I suggest going to naturalnews.com and having a listen to Mike Adams, the health ranger.

One of the things that I appreciate about staying in our home in the big city is that I’m only a 4-5 minute scooter ride from the Taoyuan district swimming pool. The thing is, as with anywhere in tropical and subtropical climates, you really, really should probably wear footwear when walking around outside - and I’ll just leave it at that.

Day 1: As though existence were saying to me, “it’s time to raise your level of preparedness, about a week ago when coming out of 16 degree pool (very cold for us here in Taiwan) with my fingers and toes all numb, I ended up breaking one of my flip flops (or whatever you call those kinds of sandals). So I decided to go barefoot for about 35 meters to where I had left my shoes. In hindsight, that was a big mistake.

Day 2, although I noticed some itching on the inside of my left little toe, as it wasn't bothering me that much, I didn’t I didn’t pay much attention to it - that was my second mistake.

Day 3: my foot started becoming painful and itching a lot more. I figured it was probably Athlete’s foot, which I now see is medically termed ringworm of the foot. So, on the evening of day three, I did what I should have done on day 1, which was (as per my own medical advice) to thoroughly rup a mixture of coconut oil and sodium bicarbonate into the wound and all around the crack that had opened in the skin. I then put on clean dry socks and did the same thing for the next, but I guess it was already too late because the fungus among us had already gotten under my skin.

Day 5: with it becoming difficult to walk, I had a look at my foot and it was clear to me that an infection was spreading. Honestly, I was wondering if it wasn’t that flesh eating bacteria, cus it was moving fast, like faster than usual for this kind of stuff. In assessing my options, I knew I would have to get ahead of this immediately; otherwise, within the next 2-3 days, I would have no other option but to go to the hospital for heavy duty antibiotic treatment, which I consider to be “last resort” kind of treatment.

In realizing that it was time to bring out the big guns, I went and found an old plastic wash bin, filled it full of hot water and a cup of baking soda (Arm & Hammer sodium bicarbonate) and soaked my foot for about an hour. In addition, I took a toothbrush and scrubbed that wound until it bled - painful, yet necessary to create an alkaline environment that the fungus or worms don’t seem to like. Then, before going to bed, I once again coated the area with a mix of coconut oil and sodium bicarbonate, and drank down a cup of warm water mixed with about a half teaspoon of powdered turmeric - to address the inflamation.

In waking up this morning, feeling better, walking around and ever going swimming again (with a much stronger pair of sandals), I think I’m now now ahead of this. Nevertheless, I’m at this moment still going to repeat the soaking and the scrubbing before going to bed, just to be extra careful.

Day 7: Although the wound is still there, the swelling is gone and I no longer feel as though my foot is infected. In order to assist the repairing process some more, I’ve prepared a teaspoon of coconut-oil mixed in with a little sodium bicarbonate to rub in, on and around the wound throughout the course of today and perhaps the next 2-3 days (with care) to ensure a complete repair. 

The takeaway from all of this: when it comes to self care, I suggest expanding that care to the little issues. Instead of putting them off, address and correct them before they become big problems. Additionally, I strongly suggest looking and considering alternative, natural, off the shelf remedies as well as good nutrition, instead of relying on antibiotics and other pharmaceuticals. I’m guessing that the system, from the small to the big is in for some disruption, and the time to prepare for that disruption is fast approaching too late. I’ll write about this, especially as it pertains to the supply chains of the world system, in my next blog post.

No comments: