Sunday, March 24, 2019

Eyesight



In each one of the classrooms I teach in, there is a computer with a projector and a screen to facilitate the viewing of information. The problem is that many students don’t seem to be able to see the information, even when it's on the big screen only a few meters away. Specifically, what I’m noticing more and more these days is that students are using their smartphones to take pictures of the projection screen so that they can read the information clearly on their smartphones. Again: I've begun to notice an increasing number of students taking pictures of the giant projection screen so that they are then able see and read the information on their smartphone screens. Although something about this picture feels wrong to me, it actually makes sense from a physical standpoint of the human body adapting or changing in order to accommodate lifestyle/habits of modern day human beings living in cities (where there's little need to focus on faraway objects) while also spending a lot of time staring at smartphone screens.

Still, sometimes I feel so sorry for the young people of today who are unable to see far away or even focus clearly beyond their smartphone screens. I guess no one told them that the cost of using a smartphone so many hours per day would lead to them losing their ability to see far away.  I accommodate such students by placing the information online with links on the syllabus so that they can just click and view the information on their smartphone screens. Or maybe I’m actually facilitating the problem by encouraging students to use (for educational purposes) their smartphones in the classroom. Actually, I’d prefer that everyone used tablets in the classroom, but that’s just not in everyone’s budget.

While on the subject of eyesight, I too have some difficulties. While my left eye seems crystal clear, my right eye is quite blurry. I guess that this is due to a burn injury I received when I was 8 or 9 while attempting to figure out how to blow up a lawn mower - after that, I just stayed away from fire. Anyway, I’m scheduled to have that fixed next month. But know what really isn’t cool in my view? In order for the private insurance that I have to cover what the government insurance won’t cover, the insurance company insist that I stay in the hospital for three days. What the hell for? We’re talking a couple thousand dollars here; so I guess I’ll agree to stay in the hospital or at least sleep there, maybe, possibly… It’s near my apartment and there are lots of walking trails around, so perhaps I’ll be able to get out during the day and go for walks. Maybe I’ll bring my laptop computer and get some writing done. The plan is to replace the lens in my left eye with an artificial one - called an intraocular multifocal lens. I did some research and I think I’m getting the most current solution. I wonder if in the future I will look back at this as the beginning of my cyborg days. 

I’ll write another post on the results of the operation once it’s completed. But there’s also a point here that I should perhaps also explore. A part of me seems to be quite comfortable, almost secure within and behind the blurriness of my right eye. It’s as if a part of me would rather not see. What is that all about? I see the world outside clearly with my left eye, but sometimes when I’m walking past people, I notice that I’ll switch to the blurry view looking. Could it be that a part of me is still hiding, not wanting others to see into my eyes or not wanting to see myself in the eyes of others? When I look into the eyes or I’s of others, I am able (or at least I think I am able) to see them on levels that I’ll often not look at or go to. Why? Perhaps it’s because, whatever I see of them, I’m actually seeing of myself and they of me, regardless of how aware each of us is of what we see.  I could go on and on writing about this in an attempt to “figure” it out. Instead, I’m just going to get my eyesight fixed, embrace the clarity self-honestly. Why? Because there is a lot more connected to eyesight then many are consciously aware - especially I guess when it comes to balancing information flowing through the body.

No comments: